What are superfoods? Nothing but foods low in calories and rich in vital nutrients that can lead to a healthy lifestyle and even provide protection against lifestyle diseases like cancer and heart disease. Here are five great superfoods that can well be a part of our everyday diet.
- Oats: Extremely high in soluble fibre and a good source of plant proteins that help in muscle growth and repair, slow the digestion of sugar and keeps blood sugar levels under control.
- Nuts: Help in alertness, are great for skin, and reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. A mix of walnuts, almonds and pistachios are a great source of antioxidants, omega 3s and healthy oils.
- Fish: Great for skin and hair, and loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids that can help reduce the risk of heart disease. Can also aid in weight loss and ease the effects of arthritis.
- Broccoli: Bursting with antioxidants and tops the superfoods list for many experts. Research terms it as one of the most important cancer-preventing foods.
- Spinach: Spinach includes iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, fibre, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C, zinc and niacin (good for blood, brain and skin health). Need we say more?
Author: Shilpi Ganguly
Shilpi is a content writer and blogger, writing on various topics like travel, food, health, relationships etc.