Having diabetes is not the end of the world, but you do need to be careful about your food choices if you have diabetes. Here are some foods which diabetics should include in their meals:
- Whole grains brown rice, oatmeal, millet and sweet baked potato. Do not eat processed grains like white rice or maida.
- Fresh vegetables, eaten raw or lightly steamed/roasted/sautéed are good. Go for spinach, carrots, bell peppers, onions etc. Broccoli is very good for sugar control.
- Eggs are you good friends. They are high in protein, will not raise your cholesterol and keep you feeling full for a long time.
- An apple a day indeed keeps the doctor away. They are low in calories and high in fibre. Do not peel them while eating.
- You may be surprised, but dark chocolates can be good for diabetes because they help reduce insulin levels and blood glucose. They can also help lower the risk of heart disease. The chocolate should have 70% cocoa or above, and should be consumed in moderation.
Author: Shilpi Ganguly
Shilpi is a content writer and blogger, writing on various topics like travel, food, health, relationships etc.