Your body processes everything you eat in order to function, and the pace at which it does that depends upon your metabolism. The faster your BMR, or basal metabolic rate, the faster you burn calories. This of course makes a difference if you are trying to lose weight. While metabolic rate varies with individuals and also depends on genetics, here are some steps you can take to improve it:
- Eat a healthy breakfast every day. Also eat small, frequent meals through the day. Starving your body will reduce metabolism (so that your body can conserve energy).
- Eat lean proteins like chicken (breast portion), fish, eggs, beans, tofu etc. These take more energy for your body to digest.
- Drink plenty of water – hydrated body tends to have higher metabolic rate.
- Do yoga – it will not only give you much needed exercise, but help reduce stress levels too, which can reduce metabolism.
- Combine having green tea along with all the steps mentioned above.
Author: Shilpi Ganguly
Shilpi is a content writer and blogger, writing on various topics like travel, food, health, relationships etc.