Holi is surely one of the most colourful, fun and playful festivals of India, but then, also one that can do a lot of harm to our skin and hair. However, pre-warned is pre-armed. Here are some tips for a safe Holi:
- Don’t get any skin treatment, facial, waxing etc. done a week before. It makes skin more prone to inflammation.
- Coconut or mustard oil may not be your favourite, but apply them liberally before you start playing colours. Using water-proof sunscreen on top of that is also recommended.
- Wash your hair the day before and oil it thoroughly, including the scalp. This will prevent excessive damage to hair from colours and chemicals.
- Apply lots of Vaseline on your fingers and under your nails. It helps wash off colour faster.
- Wear clothes that cover most of your body. Keep a cap or scarf for the head.
- Ideally, only use organic colours.
- Post Holi, don’t rub your skin vigorously to remove colours. Instead, use a paste of flour/besan, honey and milk and scrub your skin gently with it.
Author: Shilpi Ganguly
Shilpi is a content writer and blogger, writing on various topics like travel, food, health, relationships etc.