Diabetes is a life long problem. Before choosing a complex diabetic diet we should keep practicality of its use in the long term in our mind. It is our belief that success of the diabetic diet lies in its simplification.
Tips for a successful diabetic diet plan are:
- Avoid high calorie dense diet like fried meals, sweets, juices.
- Avoid low fiber diet like buiscuits, rusks , namkeens etc.
- Half a plate salad with atleast 2 meals a day.
- Home cooked food in moderate quantities oil.
- 100-150gm of whole fruit can be taken e.g apple, guava, pear, orange etc.
- Dairy products are safe. And each diabetic should take ½ L/kg of dairy products excluding tea and coffee.
- Dry fruits only in low amount.
Author: Dr. Rajiv Singla
A leading endocrinologist and diabetologist from New Delhi. An alumnus of University College of Medical Sciences, Dr. Singla completed his MD (Medicine) from Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC). He went on to pursue DM (Endocrinology & Diabetes) from reputed AIIMS, Delhi.