Anxiety and depression are becoming increasingly common health issues in today’s world. Increased work load, busier lives and nuclear families, all contribute to mood altercation, low mood, resentment, despondance and depression.
While suffering from anxiety/depression, it feels impossible to snap out of it. However, in such cases, answer lies in the simplest of things.
1. Let it go: Commonest reason leading to anxiety and further complications is supression. Social conditioning dictates us to keep problems to ourselves. We keep telling ourselves that if we share, we expose ourselves as well as our weaknesses. And we never want people around to think we are weak/vulnerable.
However, opening up to someone close and trustworthy is the simplest and best solution. Not only does it take a load off your chest, but also yeilds good advice/solution.
2. Indulge: While you might feel like spending time with your thoughts, it is better to spend it in doing thing you enjoy; like shopping, reading, working out, watching a movie, etc.
3. Be Realistic: One major cause of resentment and stress is being unrealistic in terms of goals, targets or expectations.it is always important to break your end goals into smaller, realistic, more achievable targets. Take small steps towards them rather than hoping for a giant leap.
4. Discipline: A fixed time for meals, sleep, work and recreation goes a long way in compartmentalizing your thougths. Having a definite routine helps train your mind to focus on one thing at a time. This prevents straying of thoughts and improves attention and concentration.
5. Consult a Doctor: If nothing works, it is always good to consult a doctor, psychiatrist or psychologist. Getting professional help is always a good thing.
Most importantly, always remember that there are ups and downs in life, and they are there for everyone around you. So never feel burdened by your troubles, there is a reason you are not in it alone. No problem lasts for ever.